Tuesday, April 20, 2010

My First Hong Kong Trade Show



As soon as we stepped off the plane, my sister, my mom and myself were off to the first trade show in Hong Kong. I think this was the first of three that we will be attending. At this show, I got to meet our supplier of dog booties and his wife. Interesting fella.

I also got to witness first-hand what Cheryl does when she's working these shows, which involves travelling up and down each and every aisle of 10 different halls in which aisle upon aisle is a different supplier displaying all kinds of different products. The language barrier is very frustrating as Cheryl and I were born and raised in Canada, our first language is English, with some knowledge of Cantonese. However, the mother tongue of Hong Kong is Mandarin and so we have run into many difficulties as we attempt to find out the minimum order quantity and different costs for different items. Luckily my mom is there to translate for us because she can speak different dialects of Chinese including: Shanghainese, Mandarin, Cantonese, and of course, English fluently. I guess my mom was tired when we visited our first booth as Cheryl turned to my mom and said, "Mom can you find out what their MOQ's are?" basically suggesting that my mom ask them in Mandarin what their minimum order quantities are. And my mom turned to the supplier and asked them verbatim, "What is your MOQ?", while the supplier turned back to us with a look of confusion. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis