Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Taking work away from home


For as long as I have been employed with FouFou Dog, I have been working, along with the rest of the FouFou Dog team, out of my parent's basement. "Going to work" has been a trip down two flights of stairs and "getting up early" is more like rolling out of bed at 9:00 am, as opposed to my usual 9:15 am.

My idea of business-casual is a new pair of leggings with a long sleeved shirt and the effects of snow storms or rush hour have had absolutely no significance to me.

In just a few days, FouFou Dog will be moving into a new 3800 Sq. Ft. office about 15 minutes drive from home. This milestone is one that I have been anticipating for the past 5 years, and surprisingly, I am as sad as much as I am happy about the move.

I have come to realize that what makes me the most sad about this move is not the loss of priviledges that I will miss of working from home, rather it is the distance I will be forced to have from the every day interactions between Evelyn, our creative designer, and Vivien, our operations manager, that I have become accustomed to working in such close quarters with for the past 5 years.

But I'm sure in a couple of weeks, once I'm settled into the new office and the regular routine of "going to work" and "having my own office" kicks in, I will be wondering to myself, how I was ever able to get anything done working from home...but let's not tell Cheryl that. hehe

1 comment:

ShareThis